The Tartu Region, University of Tartu and Spin-off Eco System
The Tartu region is the main science centre of Estonia with strong basic and applied research. The cornerstone of that is the University of Tartu. It is the largest and only classical university in Estonia. Among other fields the university is known for world-class science in molecular biology, genetics, material science, biochemistry, etc.
In addition to the University of Tartu, the life science competences are also developed by Estonian University of Life Sciences and Estonian Biocentre and some other institutions. The research potential and qualified specialists are the main competitive advantages of the region.
At University of Tartu studies and research is carried out in four main area:
• Humanities and arts
• Social sciences
• Medical sciences
• Science and Technology
University of Tartu has 13 600 students, over 1000 foreign students, 1300 PhD students, 3400 staff, including 1775 academic personell, and 195 professor. The2016 budget was 121,2 million €.
University of Tartu hosts SIME, a translational medicine facility with GLP-licensed labs – toxicity study services. Capacious Bio-Safety Level 3 laboratories available and the newest, state-of-the-art test animal facility in the Nordic.
University of Tartu Spin-off Eco System
The startup and spin-off ecosystem support founders of University of Tartu spin-off companies trough various stages of business development:
- Awareness training, meeting business mentors, coaching, networking, negotiating, prototyping
- public financing – Enterprise Estonia start-up grant
- private investments through Estonian Business Angel Network
- Access to an equity investment of(upto$50K)
- Incubation is organized together with and by Centre of Creative Industries; Tartu Science Park; Tartu Biotechnology Park; Tallinn Science Park Tehnopol
Contact: Sven Parkel, PhD, Technology Transfer Officer (+372) 5385 2055,
30 November 2020
Public Health Data Bootcamp, 10-14 December 2020